Most Dominant Welterweight Champion Hughes says St. Pierre “fights not to lose”

One of the most honest fighters to weigh in on events and all things MMA, the “most dominant welterweight of all time” Matt Hughes has recently weighed in on his thoughts regarding Georges St. Pierre as of recent, see below:

“As for the GSP/Shields fight, I really believed GSP was going to tear Shields up. The fight didn’t go like I thought it would at all. Let me tell everybody now, I like GSP, he’s a good guy and he’s somebody I wouldn’t mind sitting next to on a plane ride or at a supper table. So don’t think that I’m talking out of bitterness for the two losses, I’m speaking through experienced eyes that have been in these situations. GSP actually looked worse in this fight than I’ve ever seen him before. I really feel like Georges fights not to lose, he just doesn’t fight to win anymore. I like Georges, I like watching him fight, I wish there was some way I could help him to get that hunger back inside of him. Georges has the potential of being so much better than what we’ve seen recently. If Jake had won one more round he would have won the fight, based on how the judges scored it. So an interesting fight and a little disappointing at being the last fight of the night.”

Matt Hughes is 1-3 with the Canadian champion overall, and has received two of the last finishes we have seen from GSP other than Matt Serra and an in between rounds white flag from Penn and company in their last battle. Is Matt Hughes Rushing to judgement, or is his opinion and thoughts on this warranted? I for one think it’s coming from the wrong person, but he’s simply stating what most of the MMA world is thinking. GSP, is simply not RUSHING to finish ANYONE lately.

45 Responses to “Most Dominant Welterweight Champion Hughes says St. Pierre “fights not to lose””

1. R.J. St.Croix says:

im sure the fear of losing is making GSP less active in a fight, but i still dont think its the only reason for the lack of finishs lately.

i still think a lack of power plus opponents that are not willing to just quit is the main reason.

2. bvrasp says:

To be honest, I think Georges HAS been trying to finish guys but obvious it’s not as easy as it sounds.

He tried his best to submit Dan Hardy, but his technique was off and he couldn’t get it done. He busted Koscheck’s face wide open, that fight was close to being stopped due to damage but Kos toughed it out. At the weigh-ins before the Shields fights, George’s said “don’t blink”, then right in the 1st round he’s throwing spinning back kicks and big overhand rights trying to finish the fight. I think the eye poke clearly affected his performance in the rest of the fight.

Seriously, the more criticism he has gotten, the more aggressive he has gotten. Obviously he’s not Chris Leben wading into punches looking for a KO. He’s still strategic, but I really think he has been trying to finish fights lately.

• Banned says:

he is getting very boring to watch.

• brokenbrain says:

Agreed – with all of you. The problem is everybody worthy of a title shot has had 25 minutes to take the belt from him and can’t. He’s boring as shite, but he’s boring and better than his opponents. It’s time for a less predictable opponent. Some one he can’t just ‘figure out’ and re-direct. Like Diaz?

• R.J. St.Croix says:

yeah Broken that is why it bugs me a big when people get down on GSP, it takes two and its not like the other guy is going for broke ether.

i think that’ll be the only way we are gonna see a GSP finish anymore, if the other guy knows he lost and comes out in rounds 4 and 5 just windmilling lol.

3. mmayse says:

Why can’t you all admit it? He fights not to lose, and doesn’t fight to finish. We all like GSP, even Kansas. (I know big shock there) We don’t like boring fights, and that’s what GSP does now. You guys said that Pacman fight was boring, but you can’t admit it when it’s GSP? I’m a GSP fan, but not when he does this. Let’s be honest guys. If it was anyone else besides GSP, you’d be hating, and ragging on him.

• Banned says:

i totally agree

• bvrasp says:

Like I said in the post above, I think he has been trying to finish his last few fights, but he just can’t get it done.

If you look at his first fight with Koscheck, he was DEFINITELY playing it safe. Compare that to this fight with Shields, he was winging big shots and taking more risks but it just didn’t happen. After the eye poke, he went back to safe mode though.

I’d love to see the finishes happen for him and of course I agree that it is boring, but it’s not easy to finish some of these guys! They’re tough as hell!

BVRASP = GSP APOLOGIST

you heard it here kids, no matter what, he’s a fan for life and he will excuse away anything GSP does, or actually DOESN’T do, like for instance, I dunno, FINISHING FIGHTS.

It’s been the opponents’ faults for almost THREE YEARS NOW, and it’s always because he’s fighting STIFF competition.

So what were those guys he was fighting before he went on hiatus and some SAFE MODE ALIEN stole his identity, replicated his body, and took over his presence on earth??

• bvrasp says:

So exactly what is it you want GSP to do Kansas?

– don’t just say “finish fights”. Tell me how he can do it. What is he doing wrong?

4. mmayse says:

Like I said in my previous post, just admit it. You didn’t even answer or address what I said. Eye poke? He got hit in the eye! Was a point taken away for it? NO, so stop using excuses for your boy. It’s like talking to a brick wall about GSP with you lol. Admit it, if it was anyone else, you’d be calling him boring, etc, etc, etc.

• chosen141 says:

eye poke ? there was no eye poke so there shouldnt be a point taken away from shields,,,it was a clear punch that landed exactly on his eye ball !

TRUE ?

• bvrasp says:

You guys are talking about the punch they showed on the replay. What I’m talking about is the open hand jabs Shields was throwing during the fight.

I guess I should have posted something up about it after the fight, but most people had heard about it. Not only was it an eye poke, but many people thought it was intentional. Ariel Helwani even asked him about it in his post fight interview.

Not that it really helped him much though, GSP still beat him with only 1 eye 😉

• MMAKansas says:

I saw that video – doesn’t show an eye poke – he was posturing and measuring distance with his lead hand, same a Chuck Liddell always did, same as Jon Jones did to Shogun like twice in their fight- and for you to wink and act like it’s great that “GSP beat Jake Shields with one eye” – gimme a break dude, you call that BEATING someone.. noop, he SURVIVED using the same broke ass boring ol’ techniques and “safe mode” hold the title as long as I can and screw the fans cause Canadians will always be huggin my nuts in the crowds and on the forums crap that GSP has been doing for 3 years now.
        I like you BV, your my friend, but your a clear cut example of a GSP nutthugger.

Only thing worse that a nutthugging Fedor fan, is a nutthugging GSP fan.. an 99% of the time, their from Canada.

• chosen141 says:

ok now i have to say im sorry BVRASP and to MMAHQ
        The video u posted of the poke in slow motion is very clear,,,,
        i saw it only on slow motion on the night of the event and i couldnt see very clear !
        Shields dosent even have his hand closed
        Its like he was trying to slap him or something !
        Thnx for the video BV

• bvrasp says:

Dude, your boy lost, get over it. You talk THIS MUCH after a fight where GSP won, I can’t even imagine how much shit you would talk if he actually lost. lol

There’s no reason to throw out those open-handed feelers when the same exact thing can be accomplished with a closed fist, and you know that Kansas.

You cried bloody murder when Koscheck was doing the exact same thing against Rumble Johnson. If Wanderlei was on the wrong end of that eye poke, you would go ballistic man. lol

I don’t think it’s as much about me being a “nuthugger” as it is you being a hater. He won another one! wait sorry, he “survived” another one. Too bad there is no “survive” column on a fight record. There’s W’s and there’s L’s… and your boy is an L… a great big L!!!! 😀

• MMAKansas says:

You didn’t address the fact that Chuck did it in every fight, you never address the good points people make, you just hug on the most boring champion in UFC histories nuts dude. FACT – GSP is the most boring champion in the HISTORY of MMA – name one guy MORE BORING with LESS FINISHES as a CHAMPION than GSP???? – YOU GET OVER YOUR CANADIAN CHAMPION WHO DOESN’T HAVE THE MANHOOD OR THE GUTS TO STAND THE POCKET AND FINISH –

• MMAKansas says:

BY THE WAY – JAKE SHIELDS ISN”T “MY BOY” – just because I am tired of your shitty fighter GSP doesn’t mean all of his opponents are “my boy”- it’s not like that.. it’s like this.. GSP sucks.. he absolutely is the hardest fighter to watch because it’s predictably safe like boxing.. nobody goes to sleep in a GSP fight EXCEPT THE F-ING FANS AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!! :/

• MMAKansas says:

Hey guys, if you are having a hard time falling asleep at night, watch GSP, it’ll put you to sleep FAAAAST.

5. bvrasp says:

LOL!!! you guys are hilarious.

Read my post again. AND I QUOTE!

bvrasp: “of course I agree that it is boring”

Isn’t that admitting it? lol even when I agree with you guys, you keep saying the same stuff bwahahaha.

Top notch points for trolling though 🙂

• MMAKansas says:

It’s not trolling when it’s TRUE BV – but that’s a nice fallback you use every single time someone bags on GSP..

• MMAKansas says:

So we are all just trolls? Those of us who don’t agree with your point, because you can quote it 20 times dude, but if it doesn’t stick to the wall, it doesn’t stick.

• bvrasp says:

Just admit it Kansas, GSP is boring, I don’t know why you can’t just admit it! :))

• MMAKansas says:

So what your saying is that if we use the phrase “Just admit it” – then we are trolls?

• bvrasp says:

If you say “Just Admit it” immediately after I just admitted it, then yes… troll 🙂

• MMAKansas says:

Thanks for clearing that up BV – you have now admitted that GSP fights safe and is boring – that’s the first step towards healing and coming out .. good job man way not to stay in the closet 😀

• bvrasp says:

Hey! thanks Kansas, I appreciate the support!

• MMAKansas says:

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• mmayse says:

You admit it, then make excuses for him, instead of saying he just doesn’t go all out in his fights. He fights safe, just wants to win a decision. He can’t finish guys anymore because he doesn’t try, b/c he might lose if he takes a risk.

• bvrasp says:

mmayse, if you were GSP, what would you do differently to finish these fights?

• mmayse says:

Go for take downs. Attempt a submission when getting them on the ground. Throw punches on the ground, instead of holding them there. Throw kicks to the legs, body, head. It’s not boxing bro. He’s been hanging with Freddy Roach too much.

• bvrasp says:

Well, let’s look at his fight with Shields.

He used his kicks, to the head, body and legs. He isn’t Thiago Alves though, so he’s not crushing guys with his strikes. He does damage, but it’s not fight ending type of damage.

Submissions would be a bad idea against Shields, obviously so that doesn’t apply.

6. MMAKansas says:

😀

7. chosen141 says:

@ BV

I think GSP couldnt do that much against Shields in his last fight cuz basically he couldnt see from 1 of his eyes(big fact)
    He was really dominating stand up positions and landing clean shots until Shields jab caught him in the eyeball !
    Now for GSP’s last fight’s …..ya he could of done more ,,,,especially with Koscheck !

@ mmayse

I think its good he’s “also hanging” with Freddy Roach cuz we remeber his last fight , his shots had some power in em along with accurate technique 😉

• bvrasp says:

I agree chosen, the eye definitely played a role.

• MMAKansas says:

Big surprise there BV, that you agree with chosen.. lol say something else we all aren’t aware of..

• chosen141 says:

I think that if you take away the belt from GSP and tell him u gotta win 5 wins in a row and then you can have it back….then we are gonna see some craaaazy fight put on by GSP !

@Chosen –

I think your right,because he was MUCH more of an animal, with more rythem, and more destructiveness before he was champ, and after he had to get the belt back. I was a HUGE GSP fan, he was a freakin animal, and I bet the house on him to beat Hughes the 2nd and third time .. so I wish like heck he would get in there and get HUNGRY and ANGRY and MOTIVATED and just GO GET EM’!

8. chosen141 says:

Ya man exactly !
    Its the damn wrestling ,,,if u know it well u can secure a win and thats what he’s doing !
    War GSP we miss it !!!

9. John says:

Instead of giving people points for take downs that don’t do any damage and which may or may not lead to ground and pound. Give people points for actual ground and pound. You can’t blame GSP…. the rules and point system in MMA lead to fighters like this. In 5 round fights it basically comes down to cardio and wrestling ability. The for this is because they give you points for being ontop on the ground, rather than doing damage on the ground.

• MMAKansas says:

@John – I can’t disagree – although I think it’s a cheap and unentertaining win – it’s the truth.

• bvrasp says:

I agree John, but I think you should still get points for a takedown, just not as much as it is now.

It seems like, if you get 3 takedowns in a single round, you win the round. Even if you’re getting blasting the whole round and your face is a mess.

TDs should be worth way less and there should be an actual points conversion table made transparent for everyone to see, judges, fans, etc. Like saying a TD is worth 5 or 10 points and a punch or kick is worth 1 point or something.

Of course, if you do that, then you have to score harder punches higher than jabs and etc. It’s a whole song and dance but once it’s all fleshed out, that standard can be applied.

10. R.J. St.Croix says:

they need to score TDs based on what you did with it and not just the TD itself. if fighter A takes fighter B down and starts to work, give him some extra points. but if fighter A takes fighter B down and lays there for a minute, they should just forget the takedown even happened and start scoring point for him when he feels like working again.