Joe Rogan Promoted to BJJ Black Belt (Video Update)

15 year UFC commentator Joe Rogan has been training in BJJ even longer than that. Initially under the tutelage of Jean Jacques Machado, Rogan achieved the level of brown belt before joining up with Eddie Bravo. He received his black belt in 10th Planet JJ from Eddie Bravo last night, and posted the following message on the UG.

“Thank you all, my UG brethren! I’ve been training since 96, and I’ve been a brown belt for 7 or 8 years now, so it really feels like a long term accomplishment to me, and I’m really motivated to get even better! It’s a real honor. I even cried a little :)”

15 Responses to “Joe Rogan Promoted to BJJ Black Belt (Video Update)”

1. Banned says:

very cool and inspiring i love joe

2. Banned says:

i see theres a prime time for silva sonnen 2 how many have they had? i guess ive missed some

• bvrasp says:

Do you watch the podcast Banned?

Also, prime time video is only a preview. It’s on Saturday at 7:00pm est on Fuel, but there will be a replay on ufc.com at 7:30.

• Banned says:

what podcast? and usually primetime is a 3 part show. i see one on fx next friday night and i see the one on fuel youre talking about did they only make onenfor this fight?

3. MMAKansas says:

Anyone notice that KFlo announced his retirement from the sport, and nobody cared, or cares. The guy will not be missed.

I wish fitch would follow suit and do the same, and Diego Sanchez. They will never win a title, they just capsize real conteders’ chances in fluke fights like the Sanchez, Kampman fight ..

• bvrasp says:

Gotta give Kenny some credit, he competed at 4 different divisions in the UFC, and he only lost to champs and top guys (except the Sanchez fight at MW, but that was pretty ridiculous).

He was actually planning to return to LW, but he got a back injury that started giving him numbness in his legs, etc.. Doctors highly suggested he retire and it was definitely the right move. He’s doing his anchor job these days, teaching, etc. This is a young man’s sport, and he’s no Randy Couture.

I liked Kenny, but like you said, he was never going to hold a title again.

• MMAKansas says:

Again?… He NEVER held a title … he was a bridesmaid from start to finish in his career, and only had a name because of all the investment from UFC due to his stint on TUF.

Kenny competed in 4 divisions – so did BJ Penn, however the difference is that BJ won titles in 2 of the 4 divisions he competed in and that’s why he’s hot, and kenny’s not ;) lol

• bvrasp says:

oh my mistake, I meant he wouldn’t contend for a title again.

I dunno, I just don’t understand the disdain for the guy. He’s a respectful dude, and he was a very well rounded fighter. Almost all his fights were against tough opponents, competing at the highest level and he was the #1 contender for the title 4 times. He went 14-6 with 12 oh his wins by stoppage, and he was only stopped twice – by BJ Penn, and Sanchez at 185.

I’m not saying lets induct him into the hall of fame, but I think he did pretty well for himself with the tools he had to work with. There’s a ton of fighters out there who have done much worse.

• brokenbrain says:

BV…Friends don’t let friends nut hug the Kflo. Sorry bud, c’mon back to our side where you belong.

• MMAKansas says:

@BV

Kenflo was a good fighter – but his retirement and career mean pretty much nothing, and wont be remembered a year or two…. just pointing out the obvious I suppose.

• bvrasp says:

I’d rather have Kenny in there than Gus Johnson :)

• MMAKansas says:

I’d rather have Randy in there than Kenny .. as the logic goes.

• brokenbrain says:

Personally, I wish KFlo (worst moniker ever) would go back to fighting and let go of the commentator gig. He’s really bad at it. At least when he’s fighting he’s getting punched in the face.

• bvrasp says:

lol that’s so mean. I don’t know why peopls hate Kenny so much. He doesn’t bother me much, although he is definitely no Joe Rogan on the mic. I thought he was a good fighter in the cage, well rounded, respectful, going for the finish, etc.

• MMAKansas says:

He’s not going to win a title, and he wont be a commentator for long. Those positions are going to fill up with legit former champs before long, just like with the NFL, and there wont be much space for TUF alumni has beens.