Holloway Cements Top Spot as Aldo Drops Another Title Fight

UPDATE on UFC 218.

Short and sweet, former and long-time featherweight champ, Jose “Scarface” Aldo dropped another TKO to Champion Max “Blessed” Holloway this evening. The fight ended in the same round, and in a similar manner as the first contest, with Jose markedly gassed out and getting pummelled from bottom on the ground, and the tireless Holloway rained down strikes until less than 12 second before the end of the 3rd round, Herb “bob marley” Dean stepped in and stopped the damage.

Notably, Jose came in with more leg kicks this time, but not enough to chance the course of the fight. Also, Jose was defending when the fight stopped and put for much more effort to keep the action going, but Herb still felt the need, with approximately 9 seconds left in the round, to stop it.

Last thought. Jose Aldo is in a tough spot. At his age, and height, (5ft 7in tall) it’s going to be difficult to go UP in weight, which is what he would need to do since he’s having MAJOR gassing problems due to his heavy weight cut. Going down further in weight doesn’t look possible at this point. It might be time for the former champ, to take a few gimme fights and work out his current contract until paid in full and retire. No shame in that. Holloway is the real deal, and this fight looked similar to when T.J. Dillishaw took the belt from Aldo’s training partner, and former bantamweight champ, Renan Barao. It just looks like the Nova Uniao style really depends upon speed and that is the first thing to leave a fighter, so unfortunately Aldo’s best days are looking behind him, while the future belongs to speedy fighters such as Holloway.

12 Responses to “Holloway Cements Top Spot as Aldo Drops Another Title Fight”

1. MMAKansas says:

Do any of you guys ever drop in to read this stuff or not?

2. Amir says:

Sure, I always still drop in a few times a week but only to see the links. Seems as if they are all outdated now for some reason…

• MMAKansas says:

They are and BV has been traveling but he’ll fix them before the New Year.

They got stuck for whatever reason in October.

Our chief administrator will fix it soon though lol

3. bvrasp says:

There’s a problem with the feed cache, all the RSS info is correct. Dr.J is using his own feed cache and I can’t access it to purge it, etc. Not much I can do from my end unfortunately.

• MMAKansas says:

Can this or will this be fixed or are we screwed permanently?

• Dr J says:

Sorry guys, I got sidetracked and this fell off my plate over the holidays. I’ll try to take a look and get it going again. The code running the feeds goes back to the very start of the site probably 15 years ago now and didn’t survive the recent server move at the hosting company. I’ll try to get it back up and going.

• MMAKansas says:

Thank you sir!

4. Hotpad says:

Its like when you prune a branch and still see green in the middle…..

5. MMAKansas says:

Yeah it’s weird – I’ve logged in several times, I can still publish new articles but the side bar links are stuck still..

6. Hotpad says:

Hello fellow hq’ers! Did anyone watch Jones and the csac stream today? I want to feel bad for Jones but dammit- the dude just does and says stupid shit to cement his inevitable peril…. where u at RJ? Where u at Richard? Where u at Banned? Did everybody migrate to mania? Didn’t take u guys for assholes lolol

• MMAKansas says:

I’m here but I’m the lone ranger Hotpad.

Been trying to get BV/DrJ to fix this for 3 months but the side bar is messed up. Nobody visits I guess now. Probably should shut it down.

I didn’t watch Jones, but yeah, he’s kind of a D-bag heel, that’s why people cheer against him.

• bvrasp says:

Yeah I’m still around, just not much I can do about the sidebar, that’s all Dr.J right there. It would be difficult for him to fix though considering how old the coding is, and I get the lack of motivation to do so 🙂

As for Jon Jones hearing, I didn’t watch it because it doesn’t really matter because the athletic commission’s penalty will be dwarfed by USADA. I believe the USADA hearing will be held later this month, and they will likely ban Jon for 4 years, so.. yeah.. He’s almost irrelevant to the sport at this point.